"Voluntary Enrollment of Permanent Residents" is
If yourmilitary service was exempted or postponed because you acquired permanent residence but you still wish to voluntarily fulfill your military service, you would be allowed to maintain your permanent residence during your service period. This way, you can carry out your military duties without having to worry about your permanent residence status and more such people would voluntarily fulfill their military duties in a healthy military culture.
- Proposal by Korean immigrants at military administration session in New York, U.S.A.(November 2003).
- "We would like for permanent residents to be able to maintain their permanent residence if they wish to serve in the military."
- Travel expense coverage for overseas permanent resident soldier on leave (implemented since April 1, 2004)
- Roundtrip flight (GTR economy class) and domestic travel expenses will be covered.
- For permanent residents who completed their military service, their return trip expenses will be covered (implemented since January 1, 2008).
Who is Eligible?
- Permanent residents who wish to serve in the military(Permanent residence includes indefinite residence permit and long-term residence permit of five or more years in a country without permanent residence).
- A person who resides overseas with his parents who are listed as Overseas Koreans and;
- who hold multiple citizenship
- who has resided overseas for five years or longer with parents
- whose either parent has earned permanent residence or citizenship.
Application and Required Documents
- Where to Apply :
- MMA website, Regional MMA Civil Affairs Division, Incheon Airport Military Affairs Office.
- Required Documents :
- Military Service Application Form for Permanent Residents, etc.
When visiting Regional MMA Offices for draft physical examination, you must submit documents that prove your overseas residence status.
Withdrawal of Military Service Application
- If circumstances change after you submit your military service application and preclude your enrolment, submit your cancellation application to MMA website, Regional MMA Civil Affairs Division near you, Incheon Airport Military Affairs Office before the date of enrolment.
- As overseas emigrant, your military duty will be postponed until you are 35 years of age in accordance with overseas travel period extension conditions, without penalty.
- The government of your country of residence may invalidate your permanent residence if you as a permanent resident stay outside the country for a certain period. Therefore, you must take measures to maintain your residence status by, for instance, receiving Re-entry Permit from the immigrations authority of your country of residence.
- As the sole authority to decide on your permanent residence status belongs to the government of your country of residence, please note that the Korean government cannot guarantee your residence status.